Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day






lithographic poster by Robert Rauschenberg 1970





In honor of Earth Day I bought a camera bag made of 95% recycled materials. Actually, I bought the bag the day after Earth Day and I got it because I liked it and I kind of needed a midsized camera bag. I did pick up a couple of beer cans off the side of the road yesterday, Earth Day, but I always do that. But the camera pouch really is made of recycled stuff of some sort, maybe old leisure suits from the 1970s, who knows. I especially like the little picture of the polar bears on it. Actually, a portion of my cash for this product is supposed to go to polarbearsinternational.org according to the inside of the label, so I guess I don't feel too guilty about buying it. Whenever I think of Earth Day I think of the poster that Robert Rauschenberg made in 1970 for what would have been the first celebration of that day. Incidentally, that is the same year that Stewart Brand's Whole Earth Catalog was published. Groovy.


No comments:

Post a Comment