Friday, November 20, 2009

...and the beat goes on




As the old saying goes, “the more things change the more they stay the same”. When I was a kid, back in the 1960’s British Invasion music was big and the Mersey Beat dominated the airwaves. There was still plenty of good old American music too, especially pop, soul, rythm & blues and folk. But the mid sixties was all about the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Zombies, The Yardbirds and many other British bands. I would listen to them on my little Japanese transistor radio. Now all the kids have iPods. My daugher has an iPod. My son has an iPod. And, oh yea, being a big kid now, I have an iPod. One evening I was holding my iPod in my hand and listening to The Rolling Stones. I had it tuned to the British Invasion channel on Pandora, an internet radio application. Instead of using the earbuds the music was blasting out of the tiny internal iPod speaker like a cheap old transistor radio. As I was listening to this classic rock and roll music on this hand held device with a tinny loud sound I had a kind of flashback to those transistor days of the 60s only a short 45 something years ago.




1 comment: